Open Enrollment

7/15/2020 - 8/16/2020


Enrollment Sessions:

Virtual Enrollment Session on 7/27/2020. Please contact for zoom link.

Evelyn Castillo.jpg

Evelyn Castillo

HR Benefits Manager

District Office

972-479-9078 ext: 1034

Evah Montes_HR Staffing and Wellness Spe

Evah Montes

HR Staffing and Wellness Specialist

District Office




Q:  Can employees’ dependents be on their insurance? If so, for how long? 

A:  Children can remain insured as dependents up to their 26th birthday. A child may remain insured at age 26 or older if you can certify that the child is disabled or has another qualifying health condition. In addition, if the child turns 26 in the beginning or middle of a month, she/he can remain insured until the end of the month. For example, if Jane turns 26 on March 4, she can remain insured through the end of March 31st. 


Q:  How can I make a change after I have selected my benefit options? 

A:  Once employees have selected their coverage options, they cannot legally change their coverage unless they have a ‘qualifying event.’ This would be a change in their life situation, such as getting married, divorced, having a baby, or losing health coverage. If one of these events applies to you, please contact the benefits coordinator for assistance.


Q:  How do employees know what kind of health benefits they need?

A:  As an employer, we are not obligated to provide advice to employees on which benefits they may need. However, we encourage you to ask yourselves these questions:

  • Do you prefer to stay in a network to get coverage?

  • Are you willing to switch to a plan that may exclude your current doctor or medical providers close to you?

  • Are you OK if procedures and specialists require a referral from your primary care doctor?

  • Considering the type of treatment, you or your family received in the past, what medical needs do you anticipate this year?

  • What kind of budget do you need to keep to cover premiums and out-of-pocket costs?  


Q:  If employees are not married, will the plan still cover their partners?

A:  Not necessarily. If your company’s plan does not have domestic partnership coverage, employee’s significant others may need to secure healthcare coverage through their employers or through the exchange. 


Q:  Can employees choose either dental insurance or vision insurance, or do they have to enroll into both plans?

A:  Employees can select one, both, or neither, as they are separate options. 


Q:  I want to sign-up for an amount of life insurance that is requires an Evidence of Insurability form.  Why do I have to provide this and what is this form?

A:  Evidence of Insurability (EOI) is required documentation about the employee’s health or his/her dependent’s health. It ensures employees are eligible for coverage and it determines their cost of participation.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)


Q:  What are FSAs and how does it work? 

A:  Health flexible spending account is a plan that lets people use pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible health care expenses for themselves, their spouse, and eligible dependents. Money is set aside from an employee’s paycheck before taxes are taken out. Employees can then use these pre-tax FSA dollars to pay for eligible health care expenses during the plan year. 


Q:  What is a Dependent Care FSA? 

A:  A Dependent Care FSA is a plan in which employees can use pre-tax dollars to pay for qualified out-of-pocket dependent care expenses. 


Q:  Can both an employee and his/her spouse sign-up for the Dependent Care FSA? 

A:  Potentially. For a Dependent Care account, the total per household must not exceed $5,000 ($2,500 each if married and filing separately) per IRS guidelines.



Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA)


Q:  What is COBRA and how does it work?

A:  The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) is a federal law that requires employers with 20+ employees who offer health care benefits to offer the option of continuing this coverage to individuals who would otherwise lose their benefits due to termination of employment, reduction in work hours, or certain other events. 


Q:  How much would employees have to pay COBRA for themselves and their family?

A:  The employee generally pays for the full cost of the insurance premiums. Employers can charge 102% of the premiums and keep 2% for administrative costs. 


Q:  How long is someone allowed to be on COBRA? 

A:  If the qualifying event is a termination of employment or a reduction in hours of employment, the COBRA continuation period is 18 months. 


Understanding employee leave and absences can get confusing at times and we hope you find the information below beneficial in answering your questions.  Please call us or come by our office so we can clarify any questions you may have in regards to FMLA.

Please refer to the information and instructions below for requesting FMLA Leave.


To request FMLA leave, please complete the FMLA Absence Request.

Email the completed request to or fax to 972-942-0474.


Workers’ compensation is a state regulated insurance program that pays reasonable medical costs if you are injured on the job.

Effective September 1, 2020, International Leadership of Texas workers’ compensation coverage provider is AmTrust Group.


Injured on the Job?

Due to the Texas state law requirements for punctual reporting of an on the job injury or a work related illness, you must report every incident accurately and promptly.  Please report ALL on the job injuries and/or work related illnesses to the Benefits Coordinator.

If injured, the employee shall notify the supervisor immediately or go to the campus administrative assistant or designee.

  • If injury is life threatening and requires emergency medical treatment, call 911, then please call Benefits Coordinator at 972.479.9078.

  • If injury requires minor medical treatment, the employee can go to the medical provider of his/her choice that accepts workers' compensation insurance.

Please email the completed First Report of Injury or Illness Packet to or fax to 972-942-0474.


Teacher Retirement System


Address: 1000 Red River Street, Austin, TX 78701


The Teacher Retirement System website provides an abundance of information for active, terminated, and retired school district employees.  TRS is the best place to start when trying to find information retirement eligibility, beneficiary designations for your retirement account, purchasing service credit, amongst many other things.




Q: What is the "TRS CARE" deduction on my paycheck?

A: This is what every regular full-time and part-time employee must pay each payroll that contributes towards funding the retiree medical program.  


Q: What is the percentage that's deducted for "TRS CARE"?

A: 0.65% of gross wages 


Q: What is the "TRS RETIREMENT" deduction on my paycheck?

A: This is money taken from every regular full-time and part-time employee that goes into your actual retirement account with TRS.


Q: What is the percentage that's deducted for "TRS RETIREMENT" and can I change the percentage deducted?

A: The percentage taken from each paycheck effective 9/1/2016, 7.7% is deducted.  You cannot change the percentage withdrawn as this is state mandated.


Q: How can I see how much I have in my TRS retirement account?

A: Click on MyTRS LOGIN and log into your retirement account portal.

International Leadership of Texas has a supplemental insurance policy in the event that a student is injured.

Please contact the Benefits Coordinator for assistance at 972-479-9078 or 


An Employee Assistance Plan is an employee benefit program offered to help employees manage personal and professional problems that might adversely impact their work performance, health, and well-being.  Employee Assistance Plans generally include short-term counseling and referral services for employees and their household members.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP) FAQ’s


Q:  What does an EAP offer to employees? 

A:  An EAP offers to help employees understand, as well as, overcome personal problems. 


Q:  What type of services does an EAP offer?

A:  Services typically managed by an EAP provider include:

  • Job/personal stress

  • Relationship issues

  • Substance abuse

  • Family matters; separation/loss, financial or legal assistance, harassment/violence incidents that occur outside of the workplace, parenting issues (childcare/eldercare). 


Q:  Is the EAP confidential or do employees need to notify an HR representative?   

A:  An EAP is a confidential service to employees. Employees contact the EAP provider directly and representatives will assist employees with their needs